Severe burns are a common injury in Sierra Leone, where most people cook over an open fire. A young mother rushed her toddler, Chris, to the government hospital after the child sustained second degree burns on his forearm and thigh from a bucket of boiling water. When the wound became infected, she brought Chris to Mercy Hospital, where his wound was cleaned and treated under anesthesia. He was released in good condition, and his mother appreciated the surgical team's fast intervention.
Amadu, aged 7, was brought to Mercy Hospital by his mother after suffering from acute abdominal pain and other symptoms for a week. An ultrasound scan revealed a severe gastric perforation, requiring emergency surgery to repair the wound and apply an omental patch. After a brief recovery in the hospital, Amadu was released in good health. His parents were deeply grateful to the surgical team for saving their son's life.
Gastric perforation is very common in Sierra Leone, and is generally the result of an ulcer which may be caused by a bacterial infection or chronic digestion problems.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Follow us on social media
Click the button to read heartfelt tributes to a beloved Bishop, co- founder of our mission!